Thursday 10 October 2013

Observations from my first month in Denmark

Hi,
It's been so long since I last blogged, my apologies. I had to write my first Masters exam last week so I hope that you can appreciate that my brain was aching from too many new words, new theories and the pressure of having to write a 2500 word assignment in one week, to blog. That does not mean that I haven't had some fun in the meantime. I am still a fresher at heart, though definitely not in my ability to party several nights in a row leading up to an essay deadline. I'm making my first trip home tomorrow so I want to talk about my reflections on the course so far, some of the things I've been doing to avoid work, the work I have done and finally warn you all that I might have changed substantially by the next time you see me... in terms of manners :)


It's now five weeks since I left the UK to embark on this Masters course and I have to say first of all that I am actually really proud of myself. I managed to get here and get stuck in to the course and my new life in Denmark without any serious damage to myself or my mental state. The assignment last week definitely tested my resilience though. After almost four weeks of committed studying, 18 hours of lectures a week and a lot of time spent with coursemates and friends, last week I faced the prospect of taking on this essay which meant spending a lot of time by myself. However, I was lucky enough to have the support of some classmates with whom I had a long study day with on Tuesday and another meeting on Thursday. I also called on my poor mum and dad to help with proof-reading so no, I wasn't completely alone.

It was only on Wednesday night at some hour past midnight that I felt completely lost, the essay question was refusing any and every attempt I made to try and understand it and I realised that I'd rather go home than finish the stupid thing. I ended up working myself up into a right state which was probably due to late nights and stress than homesickness, but you know when everything suddenly looks terrible in the middle of the night, mid-essay, well that was me. I was relieved to find out that a lot of other people felt similar last week. An exam after four intense weeks of this course shook everyone up a bit. I just can't imagine what it was like for those who had to write their essay in Englis as their second or third language! Anyway, I did it! I completed it, and not only that, I wrote the essay that I wanted to write, so my perseverance and help from others really paid off.

I mean it when I say that so far this course has been everything I hoped it would be. I'm learning about globalisation and how it is affecting journalism and the media. Last month we studied topics like War, Development and Terrorism and how to report on them. It has been a real eye-opener, as we have been encouraged to study our home media and share with the group. This means that my Mundus colleagues from China, Africa and Latin America have been able to provide an alternative perspective to that provided by the Western media. It has been a thoroughly engaging and interesting experience. 

The essay last week though showed me that this course is difficult. I know that it is going to continue to test me and it will sometimes seem overwhelming. We went through the plans for the next modules and next semester today and looking at it all in one go was pretty daunting. I just have to think of it like training for a marathon or series of races and take it each day and each week at a time. I couldn't write the end exam of my current module now so I have to work up to it. I couldn't write my thesis now but that's the final test and so I will be able to do it by the time I get to it.

Hannah, on our trip to the harbour
When I'm not working I have been exploring the surrounding area around my halls. I took a few long walks last week to clear my head and also went exploring around the harbour with my friend Hannah. I can see the sea from my room so last week I decided to go on a run to try and find it. I didn't find it on that occasion but later in the week I did. I had to walk down through the forest. It was beautiful, there are some old Danish houses which appear through the trees. Once by the sea there is a small community of painted houses. I had a fantastic time just walking around and exploring.

The Harbour is a short cycle from my halls and is also worth a visit. It is an interesting place which looks like it only exists for industrial purposes but there is the odd tourist-friendly sculpture or site to explore. We saw a huge pair of pink sunglasses, entitled 'Sea Pink' and an attraction called 'The Dome of Visions'.

'Sea Pink'
Dome of Visions

Another way I successfully avoided work was by taking part in a big flat party on Saturday night. It was called the Tour de Chambres which involved a tour of the rooms on my floor. In each room the host had to have a theme which included both a drink and a game for the group. There was a Eurovision room where we had to sing in groups for the 'Eurovision trophy', a 'Dexter's Laboratory' room in which we had to compete to make the tallest tower out of marshmallows and spaghetti, a French room which involved a piggy back race whilst feeding the person on the back with a croissant, a circus room, a kid's party room complete with face-painting, a carnival room, a grandma room and a pirate room. We had a brilliant time and the themes were extremely creative. One thing I did realise though is that my flatmates have the most beautiful rooms! Their rooms are beautifully furnished with lovely furniture, furry rugs, paintings on the walls etc.

In the French-themed room

Finally I just wanted to warn you all that my move to Denmark is changing me slightly in terms of manners. I never really appreciated how seriously we take manners in the UK. That is until I opened the door for someone here and they didn't even acknowledge my existence. I brushed it off as something that doesn't happen very often, only for it to happen again and again! I kept moving out of the way for people to walk or cycle past me, only for them to completely ignore me. Also, if I went to go through a door the person on the other side wouldn't wait for me but decide to go through at the same time as me. I have also been waiting in a queue and someone has pushed me out of the way. I have never appreciated the British manners as much as I do now. However, in an attempt to 'get even' I have started doing the same, ignoring people who hold doors open and walking through doors when I feel like it. It feels so wrong!

Also, people here don't tend to smile at each other in public. This is something I have begun to notice and it upsets me. I'm walking around as my normal happy face and smile at someone but instead of being greeted with an equally happy face I get a glare, a stare, a look of sheer confusion, or a look of embarrassment. I was talking to my Danish housemate about this and apparently if you smile at someone in the street in Denmark that person either thinks there's something wrong with you or there's something wrong with them. So I guess that means I've got to stop smiling at strangers too. All I'm trying to do is brighten your day Denmark. No, I really do have to stop because the one time I got a smile back was from a man who then proceeded to come over to my table and ask my friends and I if we wanted drugs. Smiling is getting me into all kinds of trouble here, please just don't be offended if I bring this restraint back to the UK with me.

Keep smiling though and Mange Tak! :)


1 comment:

  1. Don't ever stop smiling or being your wonderful self, Ellie!! It's a pleasure to be doing this course with you and the world (especially Denmark) needs more cheerful people like you. Maybe just avoid too many smiles at the shifty, bearded drug dealing types though :p but seriously, don't change! And thanks for being a reminder that even when it's tough, there's a reason for this and it's all part of the process. Bring on the next few months :) :)

    ReplyDelete